Woman gives birth in rescue helicopter over ‘UK island paradise’

(Jennie Trevithick/BBC/ SWNS)

A mother has celebrated a special in-flight birth after giving birth on board a rescue helicopter.

Jennie Trevithick, 41, was being airlifted to hospital by the Coastguard helicopter when her labor progressed faster than expected.

Before she could complete the journey from the Isles of Scilly to the Royal Cornwall Hospital in Truro, baby Ebbyn arrived just as they arrived to land.

Now back at St Mary’s, Jennie praised everyone on board who helped keep her calm and safe.

She told the BBC: “It was a surreal experience. I was holding the baby as we landed and I looked up and asked ‘Where are we? What’s going on? ‘,”

“I felt so safe, I couldn’t have wished for anything more.”

Jennie, a brewer, started having contractions on the evening of December 4 and visited St Mary’s birthing center with her partner, Hayden Simpson, 38.

When her waters broke, the midwife discovered meconium, a newborn’s first faeces, which can cause serious illness and even death if inhaled by the infant.

This meant that Jennie’s job was considered an emergency. She was airlifted to hospital, an 89km trip to the mainland.

Mothers from the Isles of Scilly, an ‘island paradise’ off the coast of Britain, are often airlifted when there are possible complications which may require additional medical support not available on remote islands.

Ebbyn now joins a select group of Scillonians born on the coastguard helicopter, including Torran in 2018 and Marcus in 2013.

    (Jennie Trevithick/BBC/ SWNS)

(Jennie Trevithick/BBC/ SWNS)

Jennie added: “In my first pregnancy, with my daughter, I was also flown in and when I found out the helicopter was on the way, the contractions stopped and everything.

“But with this one, I could hear the helicopter getting closer but there was no sign of it slowing down.”

Once on board, she said the situation progressed quickly.

She recalled: “I knew we hadn’t landed yet and I reached out to feel the head and I was like ‘OK’.”

It took five hours from the start of the contractions until the baby was born just after 2 a.m. on December 5.

Jennie added that it was a “perfect” experience and that she was grateful to the helicopter crew and the midwife who accompanied her.

She said: “I would like to say thank you to all of them. They have all been incredibly supportive.

“Everyone said it must have been so scary to be in a helicopter, but I actually felt super safe – I was in the best place possible.

“I couldn’t have wished for anything more.”

After landing, his partner Hayden cut the cord and the trio were transferred to Royal Cornwall Hospital.

They departed later that day before returning to the Isles of Scilly.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *