Buckingham Palace declined to comment on a “hateful” column by Jeremy Clarkson, in which he said he fantasized about Meghan Markle parading naked through the streets as crowds threw “feces” at her.
In a column for The Sun, the former Top Gear host says he lies in bed ‘grinding his teeth’, consumed by thoughts of the Duchess of Sussex, whom he says he hates on a ‘cellular level’ .
He received widespread condemnation for the article, which was published on Friday, with his own daughter accusing him of “misogynistic bullying”.
More than 60 MPs have since written to the Sun’s editor, condemning the column ‘in the strongest terms’ and calling on the paper to take action, saying its ‘hateful’ article had contributed to an ‘unacceptable climate of hatred and of violence”.
Clarkson responded to the outcry in a Twitter post on Monday, in what was widely seen as a “no apology.”
Read more: Prince Harry ‘to do new ITV interview with Tom Bradby’ ahead of Spare memoir publication
He tweeted: “Oh my God. I kinda stepped foot in it. In a column I wrote about Meghan, I made an awkward reference to a scene from Game of Thrones and it went wrong with a large number of people. I am horrified that I have done so much harm and I will be more careful in the future.”
The column also became the Independent Press Standards Organization’s (Ipso) most criticized article, with 17,500 complaints, and has since been removed from the website at Clarkson’s request.
Watch: Jeremy Clarkson’s article on Meghan draws record complaints from press regulator
So far, there have been no official public statements on behalf of King Charles and Camilla, Queen Consort, although the target of Clarkson’s attack is a member of the Royal Family.
Camilla is known for her campaign work to prevent violence against women, and it was only last month that she warned of a ‘global pandemic of violence against women’ at an event at the palace .
Read more: What did Jeremy Clarkson say about Meghan Markle? 7 of the TV presenter’s controversial comments
Yahoo News UK understands the palace is however angry at some of the media coverage of a luncheon attended by Camilla and Clarkson last week.
The event last Friday brought together a host of celebrities such as Dame Judi Dench, Claudia Winkleman and Piers Morgan, who quit his role as host of Good Morning Britain in March 2021 after repeatedly criticizing Meghan.
It took place at the Michelin-starred restaurant Murano in Mayfair and hosted by former royal grocer Fortnum & Mason chef Ewan Venters.
The palace is said to believe that any attempt to link Camilla and Clarkson’s comments to having attended the same lunch together is highly misleading.
Read more: New King Charles III banknotes unveiled – and he presents twice
It is also understood that Camilla remains committed to highlighting and combating violence against women and girls and strongly condemns such abuse.
The day after lunch, Netflix released the final three episodes of Harry & Meghan, a revealing documentary series about the Duke and Duchess of Sussex’s life together and their tensions with the Royal Family.
In it, the Duchess of Sussex said she was ‘not allowed’ to get help after having thoughts of suicide amid concerns for the institution’s image.
She also described feeling suicidal after her treatment by British media.